Skip to main content

Wild Swans and Stuff in Frames.

Wild Swans in Birkenhead Park
Birkenhead Park is currently home to two adult swans and their seven cygnets.  They're a delight to watch as they sail majestically through reflections cast on the water by autumnal trees and shrubbery.  The colours of the foliage are striking, and the ground is already thick with a crisp carpet of fallen leaves.  Everywhere you look, grey squirrels are munching acorns, fattening up for the coming winter.

Our dogs found a frog in our garden last night, the first amphibian we've seen in our new-to-us garden.  The one thing I miss about our old house is my frog pond.  I've been eyeing a corner of the lawn, with a view to creating a new one here.  It's a project which will have to go on the To Do list.

Meanwhile, I continue to work away at my second NVQ Level 3.  I have two modules, totalling 6 credits, left of the mandatory modules, and then I move on to the optional ones.  There is a huge amount of writing involved - enough for a novel, even.  Though I suspect it would make for spectacularly dull reading...!

I also attended a First Aid/CPR course where I learned that sealed bandages go off, which is something I'd not heard of before.  I'd last done a similar course some six years ago, so I was long overdue for a refresher.  I 'killed' my dummy human twice before managing correct CPR.  I sincerely hope some poor person never has to rely on me to save their life.  Making rubber breathe is harder than it looks.

Our immediate neighbour is renovating his house.  He has begun installing new windows, and threw the old Victorian sash-cord frames in the skip.  I spotted them and mentioned to Richard that they'd make a cold frame.  So Richard asked if he could have them, and then he set about assembling the sides using steel L-shaped brackets.  The lid is held on with two steel hinges.  He painted the wood with green-coloured sealant, and that was all there was to that little job!  Now we have a functional cold frame to over-winter some of our more delicate plants inside. 

The sealant was left over from last weekend when we painted the shed with it in preparation for winter.  We had to pull the shed away from the corner of the walled garden so we could paint all four sides.  Trying to push it back into place was much, much harder.

Birkenhead Park
I saw a really good exhibition at the Williamson Art Gallery, which had many contributions from the Wirral Society of Arts.  I wish I'd had time to view it more than once, as I was impressed by the high standard of work.

I've been editing and re-writing bits of Fabian.  I had hoped to have this ready for publication by 1st December, but I'm going to put it back a little.  I would much sooner take my time with the MS and get it right, than rush ahead and release something which I know isn't quite ready.  My original aim was to have completed the first draft by the end of this year, and I have achieved that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme
in our community. Your website offered us with useful information to work on. You have performed an impressive job and our entire group will probably be grateful to you.


My web-site: The Hunger Games Panem Rising Hack

Popular posts from this blog

A Cure for Aging?

"All that we profess to do is but this, - to find out the secrets of the human frame; to know why the parts ossify and the blood stagnates, and to apply continual preventatives to the effort of time.  This is not magic; it is the art of medicine rightly understood.  In our order we hold most noble -, first, that knowledge which elevates the intellect; secondly, that which preserves the body.  But the mere art (extracted from the juices and simples) which recruits the animal vigour and arrests the progress of decay, or that more noble secret which I will only hint to thee at present, by which heat or calorific, as ye call it, being, as Heraclitus wisely taught, the primordial principle of life, can be made its perpectual renovator...." Zanoni, book IV, chapter II, by Edward Bulwer-Lytton, first published in 1842. Oroboros keyring - Spooky Cute Designs The idea of being able to achieve an immortal life is probably as old as human life itself.  Folklore and mythology ab

Remembering Richie Tattoo Artist's Studio

Richard in the street entrance to his tattoo studio in Liverpool. The vertical sign next to Richard is now in the Liverpool Tattoo Museum. Yesterday, my sister Evelyn, Richard and myself stood outside Richard's old tattoo studio and looked up at the few remaining signs, whose paint has now mostly flacked away to reveal bare wood. On the studio's window are stick-on letters which read, "Art", where once it boldly announced his presence as the city's only "Tattoo Artist".  I can remember him buying that simple plastic lettering from an old-fashioned printer's shop. This was in 1993, not long after he'd opened the studio and before he could afford better signs. After he'd patiently stuck them onto the glass we realised that from the outside the sign read "Artist Tattoo", so we had to carefully peel the letters off the window and have another go, laughing over having made such an obvious error yet worried in case we spoiled the letteri

Ancient Rock Carving in Stapledon Woods, Wirral.

Richard on top of the rock, to give an idea of its size.  This strange carving can be found on the Caldy side of Stapledon Woods, facing farm fields which are separated from the wood by a low sandstone wall with a castellated top.  In summer, the rock face is hidden from casual view by trees covering the slope which leads up to it from the path running alongside the sandstone wall. Has anyone got any information about this carving - what it is, its age and purpose?  I've been given several theories; one that it was made for shelter, (which seems dubious as it wouldn't work very well); or that it was somekind of ancient relinquary relating to pre-Xtian religious beliefs.  Any further ideas or documented evidence would be most welcome.